Amazon

Monday 3 June 2013

A Perfect Stranger! (2)


"A friend may be waiting behind a stranger's face."



I am back with another perfect stranger. A perfect stranger series is an effort from my side to bring out the unknown real life hero, to give name to the nameless strangers who had helped me to come out from a difficult situation in life. I would remember those selfless loving souls always.

In 2006 when I was in college, I went to a different college to appear for our final examinations. This is how major final examinations is been held here in my city under Calcutta University. All Student sit for exams in a different college allotted by examination department of Calcutta University under the surveillance of teachers from other colleges. The main intention is to conduct a fair examination.

I was in perfect health when I woke up that morning. I remember it was my history exam day. I had one paper from 10 am to 1pm and then second paper from 2pm to 4pm. After finishing my first history paper I had a glass of curd juice called lassi in India and started revising my study materials. Soon the time came to appear for the second paper. I started writing the answers as soon as I got my question paper with a speed of a bullet train.

After one hour I started feeling  bit uneasy. My writing speed started dying slowly. I was sitting beside a window. I felt the need of inhaling fresh air coming from the window. I could not concentrate on writing my answers. Even the fresh air did not do anything to make me feel better. Therefore, I decided to visit washroom to sparkle my face with fresh and cold water. 

I stood up and started walking towards those teachers to take permission to go to bathroom in the middle of the exam or to ask if they can provide me some water outside the classroom to wash my face. It was a huge classroom. While I started walking, I suddenly fell on the floor. I do not remember anything after that. When I opened my eyes, I found myself in another empty classroom surrounded with unknown teachers from other colleges. 

Later I learned that I had become unconscious and they all carried me somehow to another classroom to treat me. I had no idea how much time had passed since I was lying there unconscious. I started thinking if I have time left to write my exam or else I would lose one year. I started shedding tears silently. That is when a perfect stranger came – a teacher.

She asked someone to bring tea and water for me. When she saw tears in my eyes, she started encouraging me. She said, "do not worry, everything is fine." You CAN. Just have courage. You have to fight. You cannot give up. Those words gave me immense courage. I wiped away my tears and started walking towards my seats. I found my physical strength back.  I noticed that I have only one and the hour left. I started writing my answers as fast I could. From time to time, that teacher came to me and motivated me to complete my paper.

Few months later when result was announced, I  passed  that particular paper which was not possible without her help and encouragement. Her kind words gave me courage to complete the paper in just one and the half hour. I passed my exam just because of her. She saved my one year.


I never met her again in my life after that exam as she was from another college. But I would remember her and her kindness always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment